The British Team of Chefs made a successful return to the competition circuit at Hotelympia after a 14-year absence.
Competing in the Delice de France-sponsored La Parade des Chefs, the show's 100-cover, fine-dining restaurant on Sunday, the chefs secured a silver medal for their efforts.
Led by team manager Gary Hancock, the British Team was up against the talents of Sheffield College, which also received a silver medal. Under the watchful eye of the exhibition's visitors, each team had to cook a three-course meal from La Parade's glass-walled kitchen, supplied by Dawson and MKN.
Commenting on the British Team of Chefs' return, salon culinaire director Peter Griffiths said: "I'm excited we've got something up and running again. The British Team has been left dormant for too long. It's good for the industry and good for the nation to have a team nucleus again. Sunday was a real training exercise for them - Erfurt, the Culinary Olympics which take place in October, are the end goal."
The British Team of Chefs included Mark Fitzmaurice, Simon Hulstone, Alan Baker-Green, David Galpin, Ritchie Taylor and KP PJ Watts, while the Sheffield team comprised Michael Burke, Len Unwin, Rupert Rowley, Ashley Caley, Megan Harrod and KP Peter Mara.
Team member Hulstone, chef-proprietor of the Elephant Restaurant & Bar in Torquay, said: "We had a lot of positive feedback, but I think we overworked ourselves. We need to look at simplifying things when competing."
The British Team of Chefs menu
- Pan-fried turbot and scallops, fennel, leek and saffron broth
- Kentish-seared loin of lamb and braised neck croquette, shallot and Jerusalem artichoke puree
- Kumquat and ginger sponge, chocolate mousse, vanilla ice-cream and citrus syrup
Sheffield College menu
- Three flavours of Yorkshire pink trout, warmed rhubarb spirit
- Slow-poached loin of suckling pig infused with apple and liquorice
- Chocolate brioche pudding with fudge, caramelised banana, malt ice-cream
By Amanda Afiya
E-mail your comments to Amanda Afiya here.