Greene King has been fined £5,400 after a teenage employee in a pub in Leicestershire was scalded with hot oil.
The pub operator pleaded guilty to breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 after the 16-year-old girl suffered burns to her neck and chin at the Hope and Anchor, a Hungry Horse pub in Syston, Leicestershire, in January 2007.
The employee received the burns from splashing oil after she was told to top up a deep fat fryer while it was still in use.
Greene King admitted that it had failed to provide adequate information, instruction and training as was necessary to ensure the health and safety of employees. It was fined £3,000 plus £2,400 costs by Loughborough Magistrates Court.
Liz Huband, lead environmental health officer at Charnwood Borough Council, who took the lead in prosecuting Greene King, said: "This case has highlighted the dangers of handling hot oil in any kitchen and the importance of making sure young people are supervised correctly at work.
"We are pleased with the outcome and, hopefully, it will prevent a similar incident taking place."
By Christopher Walton
E-mail your comments to Christopher Walton here.