Gymkhana, the Michelin-starred Indian restaurant in London's Mayfair, has reopened its doors following repairs after a massive fire in June last year. Its reinvented decor has been inspired by the elite clubs of India, with a design featuring jade greens, polished dark timber, intimate booth seating covered in brass buttoned leather, and Edwardian-inspired banquettes with joinery.
Jitin Joshi returns as executive chef, his menu offering favourite dishes such as kid goat methi keema, a spicy curry made with mutton mince, and Bombay Gymkhana club vegetable cutlet.
The bars feature modern Indian interpretations of classic cocktails, international wines and a broad selection of Indian whiskeys and Asian IPAs. The basement has also been remodelled with a lounge feel and Indian carpeting.
- Reopened 18 February
- Executive chef Jitin Joshi
- Design Samuel Hosker at JKS Restaurants
- Typical dishes Chettinad duck dosa; wild muntjac biryani; Keralan toddy shaapu wild tiger prawns; game bird baida roti
The Proofing Room
The Proofing Room is a new London neighbourhood cocktail bar from the team behind Soho's the Vault, set in the basement of Milroys of Spitalfields. Inspired by the speakeasy ethos, it offers a cocktail menu inspired by the classic Highball and ready-to-drink and pre-batched cocktails.
- Operator Chris Tanner
- Typical drink ‘Nikka Highball': Nikka whisky, kümmel, absinthe, peach, olive, soda
The Peacock Steakhouse is located on the grounds of the 500-acre Orchardleigh Estate in Somerset. The restaurant has a terrace that overlooks the estate and golf course and specialises in prime dry-aged steaks from its own herd of Aberdeen Angus.
- Owner Chris Vincent
- Typical dishes Prime fillet, tomatoes, mushrooms, fries; goats' cheese Wellington; mozzarella salad with basil oil; tiramisù
The Belgian Arms
The Belgian Arms is situated in the village of Holyport in Berkshire and is owned by Nick Parkinson, who also owns the Royal Oak in Paley Street.
- Owner David Thompson
- General manager Chris Peverell
- Head chef Dan Roth
- Typical dishes Pork Scotch egg, onion ketchup, pickled shallots; lamb rack, lamb sausage, smoked aubergine purée, crumbed new potatoes, jus
Tavernaki is a Greek restaurant on London's Portobello Road. The interiors feature Greekstyle white walls, a wall boasting a mural of the Cyclades islands' skyline and sky blue chairs and a tree in the middle of the restaurant. Downstairs is the Mykonos Bar, offering ouzo and a selection of Greek wines.
- Head chef Harris Mavropoulos
- Typical dishes Moussaka; marinated octopus in vinegar; pork souvlaki; keftedes; dolmades
The refurbished Sky Bar, which overlooks a private airport runway, has just opened in the Aviator hotel in Farnborough, Hampshire. Leaning into the aeronautical theme, it is designed to encapsulate the style of a classic departure lounge, and offers cocktails and afternoon tea.
- Typical drink ‘Silver Jet': tequila and ginger beer; apple and amaretto sour
- Design Interiors of Chiswick
The New Inn at Yealand
The 16th-century village inn, on the Lancashire-Cumbria border on the edge of the Lake District, has added six bedrooms. The owners, the Robinson family, also own Plato's in Kirkby Lonsdale and the Longlands hotel in Carnforth.
- Head chef Sam Carter
- Bedrooms Six
- Starting room rate £109
- Typical dish Venison loin, venison pasty, crushed parsnip, red cabbage purée, parsnip crisp, purple kale
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In