The Caterer

Pubs warned to be strict with TV Licences

03 February 2009 by
Pubs warned to be strict with TV Licences

Pub landlords have been urged to check they are correctly covered by a TV Licence ahead of a crackdown this weekend, when rugby's Six Nations tournament kicks off, or risk a £1,000 fine.

Any pub or bar which shows live television must be covered by a valid TV Licence. If there is living accommodation on the premises where a TV is also in use, this must be covered by a separate licence.

BII, the professional body for the licensed retail sector, is teaming up with watchdog TV Licensing to raise awareness of the issue.

Steve Howe, director of membership for BII, said: "We know that pub landlords want to stay within the law so if you're showing the Six Nations, it's a good opportunity to make sure you're covered by an up-to-date TV Licence.

"If people are also watching TV in residential accommodation on the premises, it's worth brushing up on the rules as you will need a separate licence in order to be correctly covered."

A spokeswoman for TV Licensing added: "We would always prefer people to buy a licence if they need one rather than risk prosecution, which is why we are issuing this advice ahead of the visits which will take place during the Six Nations."

For more information call TV Licensing on 0844 800 5832 or visit

Hotels must check hold correct TV licence or face fines>>

Keep TV licences up to date or face fines, businesses warned>>

Hotels to get rebate after clerical error over TV licence fees>>
Neil Robertson to be new boss at BII>>

By Daniel Thomas

E-mail your comments to Daniel Thomas here. jobs
Looking for a new job? Find your next pub job here with jobs

The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!