1. Farce américaine contains breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme, mustard, onions and lardons. What are the ingredients of farce Californienne?
2. Jardiniäre is a mixture of vegetables served either as a garnish or as a vegetable dish. In what shape should they be cut?
3. Sauce verte, made with spinach, watercress, herbs and mayonnaise, is regularly served with cold fish and shellfish. Another sauce used in this way is sauce vincent. What are the ingredients?
4. Flammery is a Scottish dessert jelly, decorated with cream and honey. What is the basic ingredient used to produce the jelly?
5. Many people now like to eat a low-fat diet, fruit and vegetables playing a major part with most containing no fat. Bananas contain 0.3%. Do avocados contain (a) 0.7%, (b) 7.7% or (c) 22.2%?
6. Institutions magazine in 1980 printed a recipe for the driest martini. It suggested two measures of spirit poured over ice and the addition of a green olive. How did they deal with the vermouth?
7. Napoleon is yellowish, little gem is black, and gaucher is purple and lantern-shaped. What are they, and from which country do they originate?
8. Matje, bismark and rollmop are all processes for curing herring. How do they differ, and which method is the oldest?
9. What style of dish is Singapore rice and with which type of sauce is it normally served?
10. When preparing clear turtle soup, a selection of herbs known as turtle herbs are used. What are they, and how are they normally prepared?
11. From which lamb joint is the English or crown chop cut, and what should be skewered into each?
12. Cuve close is a French term that is applied to sparkling wine. How does the second fermentation take place?
13. There are three French terms for turkey. Dindonneau and dinde are two. What is the third, and to which birds do they apply?
14. A club sandwich and a BLT are both popular brunch snacks. What are the ingredients of the lesser-known Cape Cod sandwich?
15. Manjar is a Latin American style of dessert which can be made with a variety of fruit juices. What are they?
lAnswers to the quiz are on page 70