1. Stale kernels will turn yellow and, because of the high oil content, will quickly turn rancid.
2. A call to the greengrocer would be appropriate. This is the name by which the market traders refer to clementines, a cross between a mandarin and a Seville orange.
3. It has a very salty flavour, the content being as high as 7%. It was produced in this way to supplement the diet of miners working in hot conditions.
4. These are all varieties of strawberries. The evita is a Kent variety, grown in tunnels, for service over the Christmas period.
5. This is an excellent vinegar made from cider, with a soft sour taste. The variety containing shallots is intended for serving with oysters.
6. Originating in south-east Asia, lemon grass is grown commercially as a popular ingredient but also for the extraction of citronella oil, used in soaps, perfumes and insect repellent.
8. Drunk by the Aztecs, pulque is the fermented sap of the mezcal plant. Distilled, it becomes Tequila and, of course, mezcal.
9. Braised rice with cheese is the standard pilaf recipe with the addition of grated cheese, which should be carefully mixed in after the rice has cooked, at the same time as the final amount of butter.
10. These are trimmings of puff pastry, and are used where the pastry is not required to rise to the full amount.
11. Aux champignons requires the chicken breast to be finished coated with the mushroom sauce, and it is therefore only lightly floured before being sautéd. When garnished with asparagus, the chicken is first coated with egg and breadcrumbs.
12. Three or two years in oak barrels and two or three in the bottle. Gran Reserva whites require four years of maturing, six months of that being in the barrel.
13. It is traditional to take the large scoop for yourself and a small portion for the gods. Do not spread it out to cool, as this is considered bad manners.
14. After 16 weeks of ripening, géromé takes on a greenish tinge. Goats' milk in small quantities may be added, and a salt wash is used to prevent mould.
15. The Greek word kefalotiri explains what it is - hard cheese. Parmesan is the Italian alternative.