1. Both are used for the stuffing of poàléd and roast poultry. Californienne has the same ingredients with the addition of diced chicken livers.
2. The carrots and turnips should be cut into batons and the French beans cut into diamonds.
3. Also mayonnaise-based, it contains sieved hard-boiled egg yolks and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Usually made with oatmeal, but other cereals are used. Soaked in water for a long period and strained, the liquid sets. Flavour with orange juice or rose-water and liqueur.
5. (c) Also high in calories, potassium and iron. Olives are another fruit high in fat, at 11%.
6. Although the recipe called for vodka not gin, it suggested the spirit should be drunk while looking at the bottle of dry vermouth.
7. These are all British cherries. A large number of different varieties are now imported from France, Italy, USA and the new Van and Stella's from Canada.
8. Matje is cured in a soft brine and is thought to be the oldest process, dating back to the 14th century. Bismark is marinated in vinegar, wine, onions and juniper. Rollmops for mass production are in vinegar, sugar, onions and spices.
9. Riz Singapour is a dessert dish containing rice condé, bavarois, jelly, pineapple and maraschino. It is normally served with an apricot, pineapple and maraschino sauce.
10. Coriander seed, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, basil, marjoram, sage and peppercorns are used and normally purchased ready-prepared in small bags.
11. Cut from the saddle, the average portion being 300g. Into the two joined chops, half a lamb's kidney should be skewered.
12. This is a method for bulk production invented by Charmat, where second fermentation takes place in a tank.
13. Dindonneau is a young bird, dinde is a large hen bird, and rarely used on menus is the term dindon, a large cock bird.
14. This is a crab sandwich consisting of toasted bread spread both sides with dark meat and filled with flaked white meat, mayonnaise, tomato and avocado and served in the same way as a club.
15. Not being milk-based, they are a jelly. They are set using both gelatine and cornflour.