Teenager has emergency surgery after drinking cocktail containing liquid nitrogen
A teenage girl had "life-saving" emergency surgery to remove her stomach after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen at a Lancaster bar.
Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday with friends at Oscars wine bar in Lancaster city centre, when she had the drink on Thursday night.
She reported feeling breathless and then developed severe stomach pains after drinking the cocktail, according to The Telegraph.
Scanlon was then taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm, diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove it, Lancashire Constabulary said.
Police said the operation is thought to have saved her life, adding: "The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.
"The premises involved have fully co-operated with all agencies and have suspended the serving of drinks involving liquid nitrogen."
Management at Oscars Wine Bar & Bistro said they could not comment because of the investigation but added: "We are tremendously concerned for the person involved and our heartfelt, best wishes go out to them and their family at this distressing time."
Scanlon was reported to be in a serious but stable condition.
By Janie Manzoori-Stamford
E-mail your comments to Janie Manzoori-Stamford here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.catererandhotelkeeper.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Catererandhotelkeeper.com jobs