Sixteen-year-old Kerry Johansen has been crowned winner of FutureChef 2010 in the programme's 10th birthday year.
Johansen fought off stiff competition from 11 other finalists, impressing a panel of high profile judges with her menu.
Judges included Theo Randall, Cyrus Todiwala OBE, Joe Queen and Lesley Waters and were led by head judge David Mulcahy of Sodexo.
Johansen said: "I practised my menu day and night! I've been really focused on winning this year." She has worked throughout the year with her mentor chef Gareth Billington, executive head chef for Sodexo Prestige at Everton Football Club.
The 12 talented young national finalists were challenged to produce a two course meal for four people within a two hour time limit.
Johansen's winning menu, created from a basket of ingredients compiled by the Craft Guild of Chefs, included a main course of Lamb Three Ways: pan-seared rump of lamb, petit mustard shepherd pie, lamb scouse, pumpkin puree and buttered spinach, followed by a dessert of Navel orange and ginger soufflé with chocolate and orange sauce.
Mentor chef Gareth Billington said: "Kerry has focused on improving her knife skills and flavours with support from Gareth and all the Sodexo chefs at Everton."
The FutureChef 2010 finalists:
- Winner: Kerry Johansen, 16, St Michaels Church of England, North West
- Runner Up: Conor Mclean, 14, Auchmuthy School, Central & Southern Scotland
- Third Place: Charlotte Harvey, 16, Priory School, Specialist Sports College, Central & Southern Scotland
- Fourth Place: Rosie Smith, 15, Gairloch High School, Highlands & Islands
- Sara Tajrouti, 13, Petchey Academy, London
- Bethany Macqueen, 15, Richard Lander School, South West
- Arron Ellison, 15, Rye Hills School, North East
- Harvey Martin, 14, Bottisham Village College, East of England
- Bethany Dare, 15 Robert Smyth School, East Midlands
- Becky Weston, 16, North Bromsgrove High School, West Midlands
- Ffion Evans, 15, Caereinion High School, Wales
- Orla O'boyle, 16, St Colmcille's High, Northern Ireland
The FutureChef 2010 judges:
- Head judge: David Mulcahy, craft & food development director, Sodexo UK & Ireland
- John Williams, executive chef, the Ritz London
- Cyrus Todiwala OBE, proprietor and executive chef of the Café Spice Namasté
- Theo Randall, chef-patron at Theo Randall at the InterContinental
- Lesley Waters, television chef, food journalist and cookery school proprietor
- Chris Galvin, chef-patron, Galvin at Windows, London Hilton on Park Lane
- Joe Queen, executive chef, Thistle Hotels
- Steve Munkley, executive chef, the Royal Garden Hotel
- Matt Owens executive pastry chef, Zuidam UK Ltd
- Luke Thomas, FutureChef 2009 Winner
See photos from FutureChef 2010 on Table Talk >>](http://www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk/media/futurechef2010/default.aspx)
By James Stagg
E-mail your comments to James Stagg here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Caterersearch.com jobs