The 14 young chefs due to compete in the Wing Yip Young Chef of the Year finals have been announced ahead of the ultimate stage of the competition on 4 April.
The contestants, a mixture of catering students and young chefs from across the UK, will compete at a live cook-off at University College Birmingham to be judged by Woky Ko founder Larkin Cen, president of the British Culinary Federation Peter Griffiths and Michelin-starred-chef Glynn Purnell.
This year the competition's first round called for applicants to submit a written entry consisting of a traditional street-food dish and a main course of their choice served in a bowl. Alongside the title, the winning finalist will receive a £750 cash prize, as well as a stage with MasterChef finalist Cen at his restaurant.
Wing Yip Director Ennevor Yap said: "We always have fantastic support across the UK from young chefs and their mentors and this year was no exception. The calibre of entries was extremely high so we're expecting this year to be a very exciting competition.
"It was a carefully considered process selecting the 14 candidates who are now through to the cook-off and we wish them all the best of luck in the final. It makes us very proud to have watched the competition grow over the past seven years and gain recognition amongst so many talented young chefs from across the industry.
"The competition offers young chefs the opportunity to immerse themselves in Oriental cooking, and gain valuable experience by cooking for our prestigious judges. Each year the competition continues to attract talented chefs and we look forward to seeing the dishes come to life on the day."
This Year's Contestants:
- Sophie Botting, House of Commons
- Ryan Hyslop, South and City College (Bournville Campus)
- Darnell Barrett, University College Birmingham
- Konstantinos Spyrou, University College Birmingham
- Chloe Lloyd-Hughes, North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College
- Ryan Howarth, North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College
- Mukhtar Hassan, JLR Solihull (Compass)
- Kit De'ath, De Montford University (Compass)
- Amelia Ng, Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
- Chad Moon, The ICC (Amadeus)
- Ben Webster, The Belfry Hotel and Resort
- Phoenix De-Giorgi, Saunton Sands
- Russell Letts, OPUS
- Sara Lang-Harding, Dine Contract Catering