1. The garnish royale is normally associated with consommé. What is it, and how much moisture should be apparent in the preparation?
2. In the vegetable dish of spinach with croñtons, how should the spinach be decorated and the croñtons incorporated into the dish?
3. There are three styles of grilling: what are they?
4. Oranges originated in China and did not arrive in the Mediterranean until the time of Christ. How were they originally used?
5. Kasséri is a Greek goats' milk cheese, made by a similar process to that for Cheddar. How is it eaten when it is termed saganaki?
6. Soda-water pastry may be used for both sweet and savoury preparation, but its success relies on the paste being chilled before use. What type of better-known pastry may it substitute for?
7. Which food staple is used to produce the home-brew beer in Russia known as quass or kvass?
8. In Chinese cooking, one of the most widely used knives is a cleaver. What is notable in the cutting method known as march chopping?
9. Codornices braseadas con uvas is a Spanish dish cooked with grapes. Catching the main ingredient can be a bit of a game: how is it done?
10. Which pepper is mixed with wheatflour and yeast, made into cakes and baked before being returned to a powder?
11. Bottled walnut oil is excellent for providing a nutty salad dressing. However, making it fresh is even better. How many nuts would be required to produce one tablespoon of oil?
12. Coffee cultivation in Haiti started in 1715. The best grades have acidity, a rich mellow taste with a touch of sweetness and a heavy body. Which highly expensive Jamaican coffee do they resemble?
13. If you were working in Philadelphia and the boss said you were in line for a fish-house punch, would you expect to be getting a reprimand?
14. Which cheese could be described as having a hard, uncracked crust, a cream interior, and a greeny-blue vein rather than blue-black? When finished, they are traditionally turned daily by hand.
15. Biriani is one of the most popular Indian rice dishes. Traditionally, how should the meat and rice be combined, and how is the cooking finished?
Published by: The Caterer