Malmaison and Hotel du Vin held its annual “Corkers” awards ceremony in January to celebrate the achievements of the two hotel groups and the work of those people behind the business.
The dinner and awards took place at the ICC Birmingham and was attended by 600 Malmaison and Hotel du Vin employees.
Introducing the evening, chief executive for Malmaison and Hotel du Vin, Robert Cook said: “I want to thank each and every one of you for making 2007 such a memorable year. It has been a year of growth and development – five new hotel openings and a pub – quite an amazing achievement.
“We continued to meet financial expectations and deliver great hospitality while maintaining our award winning status – as an employer of choice, for our style, for our design, for our service and our food and drink.”
To view photos from the awards hover over each thumbnail to reveal full photo.
- Best department manager: Kevin Whiteford, head chef, Malmaison Manchester
- Drink/specialist award: Julien Jacquin, bar manager, Hotel du Vin Brighton
- Maintenance person of the year: Ronnie Foster, maintenance manager, Malmaison Glasgow
- Excellence in service award: Laura Campbell, bistro supervisor, Hotel du Vin Cambridge
- Department trainer award: Donald McInnes, head chef, Malmaison Glasgow
- First and last impression award: Simon Pringle, head of concierge, Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens
- Housekeeper of the year: Jean Roberts, head housekeeper, Hotel du Vin Harrogate
- Number cruncher award: Keith Calton, financial controller, Malmaison London
- Employee of the year: Josie Simcox, graduate/assistant brasserie manager, Malmaison Reading
- Reservationist of the year: Becky Stevenson, booking central
- Unsung hero of the year: Allison Armstrong, group purchasing director (regional team)
- Sales/events person of the year: Jo Brain, Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, Hotel du Vin Birmingham and Malmaison Birmingham
- Rising star award: Ben Blowers, brasserie manager, Malmaison Newcastle
- Sommelier of the year award: Nicolas Charriere, head sommelier, Hotel du Vin Tunbridge Wells
- Chef of the Year: John Woodward, head chef, Malmaison London and group development chef
- Regional star of the year: Stephanie Briggs, group direction of design
- General manager of the year: Anthony Thwaites, Malmaison London
- CEO special award: Stephanie Briggs and the design team
- Hotel of the year: Malmaison Manchester
Long service awards
- 5 years: Jennifer Weatherley; Yannick Grospellier; Sarah Tranter; Fabien Garrigues; Julien Foussadier; Ray Brown; Grant Lowe; Donna Smith; Becki Stevenson; Paula Daly; Keisha Campbell; Diane Harris; Aidan Montaque; Derek Rawlins; Lian Mushing; Stephanie Sweeney; Tom Fletcher; Matthew Strawford; Russell Hay; Pamela Drumgoole; Irene McNaoughton; Katie Cavin; Joan McGregor; Anne Wotherspoon; Donald McInnes; Martin Hastings; Jacqui Cox; Jean Lander; Caroline Doherty; Russell Heeley; Patrick Andrew; Jos Hocking; Anna Culhane; Marcela Morales; Gabriela Vca Nardi; Andy Roger; Paul Garratt; Junior Menns; Laverne Sowe; Sandra Gidden; Nick Turner; Donna Aplin; Melanie Dawkins; Paul Middleditch; Hayley Wetherill; Lisa Harwood; Mathieu Ouvrard; Sam Patterson; Alison Hunter; Graham Steven; Alessia Faccini; Janet Fenn; Biagio Iacono; Rebecca Slater; Karen Sermon; and Ian Harnett
- 10 years: Piero Catania; Henri Chapon; Pat Sinclair; Anthony Thwaites; Runge Knight; Chris Cassidy; Mickey Watson; Sheila Davis
Published by: The Caterer