Get the latest hospitality news and inspiration straight to your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Norbury restaurant fined £2,000 for poor hygiene

Written by:
Norbury restaurant fined £2,000 for poor hygiene
Written by:

The owner of a restaurant near Croydon, south London, has been fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £3,371.50 after food safety inspectors found grease-covered surfaces and filthy cleaning cloths at the site.

New Tandoor, owner of the Tandoor Restaurant, London Road, in Norbury, admitted charges of having no food-safety management system, untrained and/or unsupervised and uninstructed staff, and poor maintenance and cleaning.

Croydon magistrates heard that officers visited the premises on 29 March last year, having received a complaint regarding an alleged food poisoning.

They found that the premises were dirty in all areas, with a build-up of grease and grime on all equipment and work surfaces, and food being stored at incorrect temperatures.

Cleaning cloths in the kitchen were encrusted with accumulated debris, and both the washing-up and drainage area were filthy.

No food stored in the refrigerators was covered, and large containers of cooked food were cooling in the kitchen at room temperature.

Mohammed Shafique, the company’s food business operator, volunteered to close the restaurant to carry out cleaning, but further visits on the following two days revealed that, while some improvements had been made, they continued to fall short of required standards.

Raw meat was being stored above, and next to, ready-to-eat food. No food in the refrigerators was date-coded or covered. Food was cooling in large containers in the saucepan. Cleaning of the kitchen remained unsatisfactory, and the wash hand basin was dry, indicating that it had not been used, and no soap was available for hand washing.

Shafique, present in court, received instruction on the Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) food safety management system for small businesses, but a return visit by officers on 5 April revealed that, while cleaning in the premises had improved, further work was required.

Councillor Simon Hoar, cabinet member for community safety, said: “The conditions found in this establishment were appalling and show how bad things can get without a proper food-management system in place.

“Despite repeated visits and advice from our food safety officers, the restaurant’s managers failed both to have the premises cleaned to a satisfactory standard, and to keep a close check on food storage and stock control.

“It’s to be hoped that this company, and others in the catering business in Croydon, take heed of this prosecution and do all they can to maintain high food-hygiene standards.”

Sun-dried tomatoes linked to hepatitis outbreak >>

Chinese restaurant in Greenwich handed record fine for hygiene breaches >>

Tylney Hall fined £36,500 after admitting food poisoning incident >>

By Neil Gerrard

E-mail your comments to Neil Gerrard here.

TabletalkIf you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk – Caterer’s new networking forum. Go to jobs

Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with jobs

Blogs on

Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer’s blogs


For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our E-newsletters


Start the discussion

Sign in to comment or register new account

Start the working day with

The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign up now for:

  • The latest exclusives from across the industry
  • Innovations, new openings, business news and practical advice
  • The latest product innovations and supplier offers
Sign up for free