Restaurant group Prezzo has been fined over £20,000 after a two-year-old burned their foot on a floor light in one of its restaurants.
The unnamed child stepped barefoot on a recessed floor light in the middle of a patio on 15 June last year, according to the East Anglian Daily Times.
An investigation by a Colchester Borough Council health and safety officer found that the light at the restaurant in Culver Street had been fitted with an incorrect bulb.
The floor light recorded a temperature of 200°C, the equivalent to a hot iron, a CBC spokesman said.
Prezzo was fined £10,000 for each of two offences under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 – reduced from £15,000 per offence for an early guilty plea – and ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge and £1,464.76 in costs – totalling £21,584.76 on a 14-day collection order.
A spokesman for Prezzo said: “The health and safety of our customers is always Prezzo’s priority.
“We take full responsibility for what happens on our premises, as in this case, which involved an uplighter on the patio floor of our restaurant in Colchester.
“It appears that a bulb had been wrongly fitted and overheated, resulting in an injury to a child’s foot.
“Unfortunately this had not been identified earlier in the day, and we therefore pleaded guilty to the charges.
“We believe that the judgment yesterday was fair; and would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for any distress caused to the family.
“Prezzo has very robust safety procedures in our restaurants, which include regular checking and maintenance of all appliances and fittings.
“We have however made a number of changes and improvements to our procedures as a result of this incident, which we believe will ensure that such an event cannot happen again.”
Prezzo seeks new chief executive as Jonathan Kaye steps aside >>