Drinks supplier Bibendum has revealed its top trend predictions for next year including a rise in white wine, sparkling reds and Portuguese wines.
1. The future is Premium – premium quality drinks sales are growing. 15% of wine sold (in bottles) in the on-trade is over £20 which is an increase of 10% over the past two years. Alongside wine, premium and artisan spirits are on the rise and the trend for craft beer continues to strengthen.
2. All about the Loire – Reds and whites from large regions like the Loire are currently popular. But, Bibendum also predicts that smaller regions will be given the chance to shine in 2017 such as Touraine, Anjou, Saumur and Vouvray.
3. White from red regions – Next year will see an increase in popularity of white wine from regions of France already recognised for their reds. Bibendum can see white Rhones, white Bordeaux and white Beaujolais being added to wine lists.
4. Red is the next chapter in the ‘Alternative Sparkling’ story – Proseccos popularity has soared during 2016, with a volume growth of 40%. As alternative sparkling is already an established trend, Bibendum is expecting it to expand to include sparkling red wines and Lambrusco.
5. Premium US whites – Bibendum has noticed a pattern for Chardonnays from the US appearing at the top of wine lists, it expects this to carry on into 2017 as bottle prices increase by 13%.
6. Portuguese white – Portuguese wine has exploded in to the on-trade. The number of Portuguese red wines on offer in the on-trade currently outweighs Portuguese whites, and Bibendum predicts 2017 will be white’s time to catch up.
7. Austrian Reds – Austrian wine has been gaining popularity for a while now, and Austrian red seems to be taking the limelight. According to Bibendum, over one in three wine bars list an Austrian red.
8. Swartland – South African wine continues to perform well in the on trade, particularly South African Sauvignon Blanc. Bibendum predicts that wine from Swartland (the western cape of South Africa) will begin to appear on London’s lists next year.
Latest video from The Caterer