Following a gruelling competition today at Westminster Kingsway College, one of six finalists will be named winner of the Roux Scholarship 2017. Watch the awards ceremony live from the Langham hotel, London below from 7pm.
The six finalists are:
• Martin Carabott, Luca restaurant, London
• Michael Cruickshank, Bohemia, St Helier, Jersey
• Scott Dineen, BaxterStorey, London
• Oliver Downey, Fera at Claridge’s, London
• Luke Selby, Dabbous, London
• Matthew Whitfield, the Driftwood hotel, Portscatho, Cornwall
This is the second time Carabott has competed in the final, while Dineen is a finalist for the fourth time. Cruickshank was a regional finalist last year, and Whitfield made it to the regional finals in 2011 and 2012.
Today, the finalists were given the recipe and ingredients for a main course dish 30 minutes before the start of the competition. They had three hours to prepare and present to the judges, headed by honorary president, three-Michelin-starred French chef Anne-Sophie Pic.
Judges included Alain Roux and Michel Roux Jr, James Martin, David Nicholls, Brian Turner and head scholar Andrew Fairlie, as well as previous winners Simon Hulstone (2003 scholar), Sat Bains (1999 scholar) and André Garrett (2002 scholar).
Videos from The Caterer archives