The 32 semi-finalists going through to the next stage of the Gold Service Scholarship competition have been announced.
More than 100 candidates were assessed over two days at the quarter finals at the Berkeley and the Langham hotels in London earlier this month, with 32 going through to the semi-finals at the Rosewood London hotel on 21 November.
Rigorous tasks and interviews will require each candidate to display not only their job skills – from front-of-house service to wine knowledge – but also their enthusiasm to grow their careers in the hospitality industry.
The 2017 scholar Stephanie Beresforde, assistant restaurant manager at Jean-Georges at the Connaught in London, explained the benefits of winning the competition. “I have had access to some of the most senior professionals in the hospitality industry, and their guidance and mentoring have helped me grow in my own role. The candidates for the 2018 scholarship will benefit hugely from the experience at each stage of the competition.”
The semi-finalists will be whittled down to eight, who will compete in the finals on 29 January at Massimo at Corinthia London. The 2018 scholar will be announced at a ceremony in February at Claridge’s.
The winner will have the opportunity to undertake a variety of training placements, including a state banquet at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle, a five-day stage at the Waterside Inn in Bray or Le Gavroche in London, and a one-week work stint at a Mandarin Oriental hotel.
Now in its sixth year, the Gold Service Scholarship is an annual competition for young, front of house professionals working in the hospitality industry.
Chairman of the judges Edward Griffiths said: “An amazing array of talent delighted us all, with keen candidates hailing from all over the country. 2018 is going to be an excellent vintage for the Gold Service Scholarship!”
The Gold Service Scholarship semi-finalists are:
• Adina Antofie, assistant restaurant manager at Coq d’Argent, London
• Catarina Caldeira, head waitress at Langshott Manor, Surrey
• Jeannie Doherty, supervisor at the Savoy, London
• Laudy Gibba-Smith, head waitress at L’Enclume, Cumbria
• Piers Gibson-Birch, junior assistant restaurant manager at the Wernher restaurant at Luton Hoo hotel
• Morag Hamilton, steward at Royal Air Force, Lincoln
• Christopher Hurle, head waiter at Jean-Georges at the Connaught, London
• Claudio Introzzi, restaurant manager at Heddon Street Kitchen, London
• Alexander Jagne, brasserie manager at Lucknam Park, Chippenham
• Sebastian Koewius, assistant room service manager at the Corinthia hotel, London
• Christian Köhle, head waiter at Fera at Claridge’s, London
• Tomas Kubart, assistant general manager at the Coach, Buckinghamshire
• Giuseppe Laboragine, assistant restaurant manager at the Greenhouse, London
• Silvia Lisanti, waitress at the Collins Room at the Berkeley, London
• Philip Littlewood, chef de rang at Northcote Manor, Lancashire
• Mariano Gabriele Ruiu, waiter at the Fat Duck, Berkshire
• Sarah May Coward, senior footman of the Glass Pantry at the Royal Household, London
• George McGettigan, floor manager at 45 Park Lane, Dorchester Collection, London
• Javier Melendo, senior waiter at Sexy Fish, London
• Maura Milia, junior assistant bar manager at the Connaught, London
• Aidan Monk, restaurant supervisor at Four Seasons Ten Trinity Square, London
• Alex Pern, assistant restaurant manager at the Star Inn, North Yorkshire
• Beatriz Pinto Da Silva, butler at the Savoy, London
• Millie Povey, chef de rang at Core by Clare Smyth, London
• Charlotte Poynton, sommelier and assistant restaurant manager at the Three Chimneys, Isle of Skye
• Samin Pun, head waiter at Sexy Fish, London
• Eugenio Simonelli, junior maitre d’hotel at Le Gavroche, London
• Alexandra Spatar, assistant restaurant manager at the Woodspeen restaurant and cookery school, Berkshire
• Michael Staub, floor manager at the Rosewood, London
• Alex Sumerauer, first waiter at the Ritz, London
• Alex Usovs, lounge and bar restaurant manager at D&D London, London
• David Wallace, floor manager at the Rosewood, London
Videos from The Caterer archives