The Feathers hotel in Ludlow, Shropshire, has reopened, two months after closing following the death of a 69-year-old woman from Legionnaires’ disease.
The three-AA-star, 40-bedroom property announced on its Facebook page that the results of the last water samples from the hotel were clear of the disease and as a result the business has been given permission to reopen.
Public Health England (PHE) in the West Midlands and Shropshire Council had advised the hotel to close in September after tests found a link between Legionella bacteria in water samples from the hotel plumbing and two separate, confirmed cases of Legionnaires disease.
The first victim of the disease was diagnosed in April and recovered. However, the second diagnosed patient, Elaine Brown from Merseyside, died in mid-August after staying at the hotel in July.
A joint statement from PHE West Midlands and Shropshire Council said that it was now satisfied that the water system at the hotel was safe after the property’s management had ensured that the necessary procedures are in place to manage and maintain it in the future.
It added that it would continue “to monitor the implementation of management controls at the hotel over the coming months”.
Shropshire Council is now at the early stages of a formal investigation into the outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease at the hotel which is expected “to take a significant period of time to complete”.
The privately-owned Feathers hotel, headed by general manager Ian Taylor, announced that a special dinner, bed and breakfast offer of £110 per room per night from Sunday to Thursday and £130 for Friday and Saturday will be available until 31 March 2018.
The hotel had earlier expressed its “sincere condolences” to the family of Elaine Brown.
Videos from The Caterer archives