Get the latest hospitality news and inspiration straight to your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Death of student who suffered fatal allergic reaction to burger result of ‘misadventure’

Written by:
Written by:
Death of student who suffered fatal allergic reaction to burger result of ‘misadventure’

An inquest into the death of 18-year-old Shahida Shahid from Worsley, Salford, who suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating a chicken burger, has returned a conclusion of “misadventure”.

Shahid who had allergies to dairy, nuts and shellfish, died after eating a chicken burger, which had been marinated in buttermilk, at Almost Famous in Manchester on 9 January 2015.

After the meal Shahid suffered an allergic reaction and died three days later in hospital.

The jury at the inquest, held at Manchester Coroner’s Court, gave a conclusion of  “misadventure”. It also found that a “lack of communication” between a barman and chef at the restaurant contributed to the student’s death by “leading Shahida to believe she could safely eat the meal”.

 

Inquest into student’s death heard staff were ‘not trained’ about allergens >>

18-year-old died after suffering an allergic reaction despite checking ingredients, inquest hears >>

Videos from The Caterer archives

Are you looking for a new role? See all the current hospitality vacancies available with The Caterer Jobs

Start the discussion

Sign in to comment or register new account

Start the working day with

The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign up now for:

  • The latest exclusives from across the industry
  • Innovations, new openings, business news and practical advice
  • The latest product innovations and supplier offers
Sign up for free