A guest at a London hotel has died from a suspected carbon monoxide leak at the property.
According to reports in The Independent the incident occurred on Monday at the Mayflower Hotel in Kensington, London.
The guest, Marcos Cervera, was visiting London from Spain with a friend, Esteban Garcia. Cervera was pronounced dead at the scene, while Garcia was rushed to hospital where he is in a critical condition.
A Metropolitan Police Service spokesperson said: “Police were called at 13:48hrs on Monday, 5 March to a hotel in Trebovir Road, Kensington following reports of a male found deceased and another person taken ill.
“Officers attended with London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade colleagues also in attendance.
“A male was pronounced dead at the scene. At this early stage, the death is being treated as unexplained.
“Another male in his 30s has been taken to hospital where he remains in critical condition.
“An investigation is being undertaken by Kensington & Chelsea CID in conjunction with the Environmental Health department.”
The spokesperson added that initial tests had indicated a high reading of carbon monoxide, though the investigation is ongoing.
London Fire Brigade has said that approximately 29 people were evacuated to another hotel.
Two police officers who attended the scene reported feeling unwell and were taken to hospital as a precaution.
Videos from The Caterer archives