Get the latest hospitality news and inspiration straight to your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter.

IHG completes acquisition of 51% stake in Regent Hotels & Resorts

Written by:
Written by:
IHG completes acquisition of 51% stake in Regent Hotels & Resorts

InterContinental Hotels Group has announced the completion of a majority stake in luxury group Regent Hotels and Resorts for $39m (£28m).

Payment for the 51% stake of six managed hotels from Formosa International Hotels Corporation is being paid for in three installments of $13m, with the first taking place immediately, with further payments in 2021 and 2024. IHG has the right to acquire the remaining 49% stake from 2026.

Regent has now been propelled to the top of IHG’s 13 portfolio of brands, including the well-established InterContinental Hotels & Resorts badge.

IHG intends to grow Regent from the current portfolio of properties in Berlin, Porto Montenegro (pictured), Beijing, Taipei, Singapore and Chongqing to more than 40 cities and resort locations around the world.

Founded in 1970 by hotelier Robert Burns as a leading luxury brand that would combine “Asian hospitality with Western elegance”, Regent has passed through the hands of various of owners in the intervening years including Four Seasons and Carlson until it was sold in 2010 to Taiwan-based Formosa International Hotels.

IHG to bring Kimpton Hotels to the UK following Principal acquisition

IHG acquires 51% stake in Regent Hotels & Resorts

IHG to expand with new and acquired luxury brands

Get The Caterer every week on your smartphone, tablet, or even in good old-fashioned hard copy (or all three!). Subscribe today and save 51%

Start the discussion

Sign in to comment or register new account

Start the working day with

The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign up now for:

  • The latest exclusives from across the industry
  • Innovations, new openings, business news and practical advice
  • The latest product innovations and supplier offers
Sign up for free