The Ivy Collection’s new Manchester site has been evacuated after a fire broke out on the top floor of the restaurant.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) attended the scene, deploying four fire engines to douse the blaze which is believed to have been caused by a patio heater on the roof. All staff and customers were evacuated safely.
In a statement GMFRS said: “The fire at The Ivy in Manchester City Centre has now been extinguished.
“Four fire engines from Manchester Central, Salford and Stretford and the aerial appliance from Stretford used three breathing apparatus and one hose reel to extinguish the fire. A ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke.
“Three crews will remain at the scene this evening to dampen down.”
The 535-cover, four-floor Spinningfields site opened on 27 November last year, billed at the time as the largest opening of 2018.
In a statement, a spokesperson from the Ivy Collection said: “The fire at the Ivy Spinningfields was quickly and very efficiently contained by the excellent work of the Fire Services.
“The fire was limited to part of the roof and the building was evacuated in a calm and timely manner. We are already working to repair the top floor damage, all other areas of the building are unaffected.
“We will make a statement in the next 24 hours with details of reopening.”
Pictures: Keith Andrew and Elaine Johnston