Tomas Kubart from Kerridge’s Bar and Grill in London has been named 2019 Restaurant Manager of the Year.
The result was announced at an awards ceremony run by the Institute of Hospitality and the Academy of Food and Wine Service at the Savoy in London on Monday night.
Accepting the honour, Kubart said: “It’s incredible. I can’t believe I’ve won. The competition was incredibly tough. I’ve got to know the other finalists and they’re incredibly passionate and fantastic at what they do.”
Kubart wins the opportunity to study at the École Hôtelière de Lausanne summer school in Switzerland, a meal at a Michelin-starred restaurant, a year’s membership to the Institute of Hospitality and the chance to attend two of its events.
Jennifer Santner from Angler restaurant at the South Place hotel in London was named runner-up for the second year running after competing in a live final in front of an audience of more than 100.
Pauline Henry from Brasserie Joël at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge and Vincenzo Mancinelli from Hide Above, both in London, completed the four finalists, who were whittled down from 10 semi finalists on the day.
Chair of the judges John Cousins, director of the Food & Beverage Training Company, praised the quality of the four finalists.
“It was extremely tight. The industry is so lucky to have these people. The future of hospitality is safe in their hands.”
“Tomas won because he was highly professional, technically great, you want to be served by him and you want to work for him because you know you’ll be looked after.”
Competing for the accolade, 10 semi-finalists were interviewed by industry professionals, while the four finalists took part in a restaurant management skills scenarios in front of an audience.
The semi-finalists were:
- Jennifer Santner, Angler restaurant, South Place hotel, London
- Christopher Bakowski, Alyn Williams at the Westbury, London
- Shashi Prakash, Gilpin Hotel & Lake House, Windermere, Cumbria
- Vincenzo Mancinelli, Hide Above, London
- Tomas Kubart, Kerridge’s Bar & Grill, Corinthia Hotel London
- Rebecca Galland, the Vineyard Hotel and Spa, Newbury, Berkshire
- Jacopo Nardini, Indigo restaurant, One Aldwych, London
- Simon Warren, the Ivy Temple Row, Birmingham
- Cedric Touny, the Blue Posts, London
- Pauline Henry, Brasserie Joël, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, London