Dan Doherty is no longer working with the Royal Oak, while hospitality group Rhubarb has “severed ties” with the chef following an investigation into workplace sexual harassment claims against him.
The Royal Oak in London’s Marylebone, today (Monday) announced on Twitter that Doherty had left the business “with immediate effect”, adding: “we will not be making any further comment about the reported incidents. Our focus is on the wellbeing of our team and business.”
Meanwhile, Rhubarb has announced it has officially ended its work with Doherty, who was consulting on the hospitality group’s forthcoming New York restaurant.
Chief executive PB Jacobse said: “We have decided to end our consultancy agreement with Dan Doherty in view of the allegations of improprieties made against Mr Doherty.”
The statements follow news that allegations of sexual harassment against junior female members of staff led to Doherty being “forced to leave” the Royal Oak last year while an external investigation into the claims was carried out.
Consultancy firm HR180 interviewed Royal Oak employees about claims that Doherty had asked a junior female member of staff for oral sex and had told workers he wanted to see them without their kitchen whites on.
He was found guilty of “misconduct” by the external firm and forced to apologise in front of staff at a company-wide meeting last month.
Doherty had returned to work following the investigation, moving from head chef to executive chef so that he would be less involved in the day-to-day running of the kitchen, but it has been confirmed that he has now left the Royal Oak altogether.
Doherty, who today also stepped down from his role as a judge the BBC’s Britain’s Best Home Cook alongside Mary Berry, said in a statement: “I would never intentionally make offensive comments to anyone I work with, female or male. I have apologised to the whole team for any offence I may have inadvertently caused. It would never be my intention.”
In a tweet today the chef added: “I want to say sorry. There are mistruths in what was published but I have made mistakes, mistakes I truly am sorry for.”
Doherty opened the Royal Oak in June 2018 with business partner Andy Ward, marking his first solo venture since leaving Duck & Waffle in last April.