Get the latest hospitality news and inspiration straight to your inbox. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Restaurant owner ordered to pay more than £9,000 after workers exposed to asbestos

Written by:
Written by:
Restaurant owner ordered to pay more than £9,000 after workers exposed to asbestos

A restaurant owner in Essex has been ordered to pay more than £9,000 after workers converting the space above were exposed to asbestos fibres.

Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court heard that rooms above the Marco Polo restaurant in Wickford had been undergoing conversion into flats when asbestos insulation board was removed and broken up, which resulted in workers being exposed to the fibres.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that a management asbestos survey and a refurbishment and demolition asbestos survey had not been completed prior to the work starting, and the work had not been completed by a licensed asbestos contractor.

Faruk Kamali of Wickford, Essex, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(3) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £6,293.

After the hearing, HSE inspector David King said “Those in control of works have a responsibility to manage the risks from asbestos in non-domestic premises. To achieve this the dutyholder must ensure that a suitable and sufficient assessment is carried out as to whether asbestos is or is liable to be present in the premises.”

Start the discussion

Sign in to comment or register new account

Start the working day with

The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign up now for:

  • The latest exclusives from across the industry
  • Innovations, new openings, business news and practical advice
  • The latest product innovations and supplier offers
Sign up for free