Investigators have confirmed that a fire that broke out at a Holiday Inn near Walsall over the weekend started accidentally in a sauna.
West Midlands Fire Service was called to the Holiday Inn Birmingham – Walsall M6 Junction 10 on Friday afternoon to tackle the fire, which was described as “severe”. All guests and staff were evacuated safely.
More than 50 firefighters and 10 fire engines were deployed to tackle the blaze and remained on the scene overnight into Saturday to extinguish the fire, however the building was described as “almost completely destroyed” by the West Midlands Ambulance Service Hazardous Area Response Team.
A spokesperson for Holiday Inn Walsall said: “The safety and well-being of our guests and colleagues is our highest priority. Guests have been relocated to nearby hotels, including a nearby Holiday Inn Express, and we have been working with guests to rearrange future bookings.”