Artist Kevin Tweddell has returned to Devon from Twickenham to run the historic Tower Inn at Slapton with his daughter Thea and her partner Dan.
The South Hams village of Slapton lies on the coastal road between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge, which is flanked by the beach and the Slapton Ley freshwater lake and nature reserve that attracts both scientists and tourists.
The 14th-century inn was part of the Collegiate Chantry of St Mary, which was founded in 1373 by Sir Guy De Brian, standard-bearer to King Edward III.
The inn itself was built round 1347 as cottages to house the workmen at the foot of the surviving chantry tower and is believed to have subsequently served as a guesthouse for the college.
Known for its fine wines, real ales and food, the Tower Inn offers three en-suite letting bedrooms and an 80-seat trading area that includes the main bar, a 28-seat family room, a 22-seat bar eating area, and an 18-seat dining room/children's room.
Period features include low ceilings, beams and pillars, scrubbed oak tables, church pew seating, log fires, wine-coloured walls, flagstone floors and bare boards
The owners' accommodation comprises three bedrooms, a lounge lounge/dining room, an office and a kitchen/breakfast room.
Outside the property has a courtyard car park, a walled trade garden to the rear that overlooks the tower, and an enclosed private garden.
Property agent Bettesworths sold the freehold off a guide price of £850,000.
By Angela Frewin