The historic King's Arms in the Monmouthshire market town of Abergavenny has been sold to local businessman Ben Jones.
The Grade II-listed building, which dates back to 1660, is one of just two remaining former coaching inns in Abergavenny and it is marked by a plaque on the town's heritage trail.
Character features include an original Charles II coat-of-arms on the front, moulded beams and panelling, and an inscription carved over fireplace by soldiers during the Napoleonic war.
Abergavenny, which is set on the River Usk, is the traditional Gateway to South Wales and is close to the Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons National Park.
Along with public and lounge bars, the business has seven letting bedrooms on the first floor and planning permission to create two more on the second floor and another four in a barn with consent for conversion into two residential dwellings.
The Bristol office of Christie + Co sold the freehold off an asking price of £450,000 on behalf of Paul Fulberg of Palladium Estates. The new owner intends to create a lease for a tenant.
By Angela Frewin