Innovation in product development has been recognised at the 2014 Product Excellence Awards.
Twenty-nine winners were recognised at a celebration last night at Westminster Kingsway College, London.
The awards which recognise excellence and innovation in food, drink and equipment products within the hospitality sector, represent the very best examples of product development in the industry.
With product sourcing vital to business success, the innovations on show are a product of rising expectations in the market and fierce competition among operators.
The awards were presented by Lisa Jenkins, products and suppliers editor of The Caterer and Oliver Cock, commercial director for Compass Group UK & Ireland.
Cock said: "The judges have spoken and chosen some fantastic winners this year. Great products are absolutely fundamental to the success of our industry and we are lucky to have had such a fantastic array to choose from. The Product Excellence Awards allow us to celebrate the producers and suppliers that enable us to deliver the very best food and service."
The judging sessions took place over five days, with the winners decided by industry experts from across all sectors of hospitality. The judges tasted more than 120 products and debated nearly 100 pieces of equipment as they sought excellence in flavour, design and innovation.
More than 90 suppliers and manufacturers, alongside students of Westminster Kingsway College, were at the awards celebration to recognise the achievements of the winners.
THE 2014 PRODUCT EXCELLENCE AWARD WINNERS
- Accompaniments: the Cacao & Chilli spice blend, Santa Maria Foodservice
- Bakery: the 10" Italian spiced gluten free pizza base, Pan Artisan
- Dairy: Glenilen Farm yoghurt, Glenilen Farm
- Desserts: Almond Cake with Toblerone, Almondy
- Ethnic and Worldwide: Ravioli filled with Beetroot, La Tua Pasta
- Food on the Go: the Cheese and Tomato Pizzini, Brakes
- Frozen: the Ham Hock & Pea Terrine, Little & Cull
- Coffee: Ristretto Intenso, Nespresso
- Hot Beverages: Apple & Cinnamon Love Fruit Teas, Love Taste Company
- Impulse, Snacks & Confectionery: Basil & Garlic olives, Oloves
- Meat, Game, Poultry & Fish: Woodall's Royale air-dried ham, Continental Fine Foods
- Soft Drinks and Juices: the Hulk Smoothie, Love Taste Company
- Side Dish: Grigliato Misto, Sapori D'Italia
- Special Diet: the 10" Italian spiced gluten free pizza, Pan Artisan
- Grills, Griddles and BBQs: Salvis Salamander, Exclusive Ranges
- Waste Management: Compostable cutlery and packaging, Vegware
- Environmental Award: Compost Range of Uni-Table coverings and napkins, Duni UK
- Sustainable Initiative of the Year: paper chase partnership, Huhtamaki UK and Sparsholt College
- Installation of the Year: Manchester City Etihad Stadium refurbishment, Caterware
- Ranges and Ovens: FlexiCombi, MKN
- Beverage Makers and Dispense Equipment: FoamMaster 8 Series, Franke Coffee Systems
- Warewashing: the Brilliant dish and Glasswasher, Miele Professional
- Hygiene: the Checkit temperature monitoring system, Elektron Technology
- Crockery, Cutlery, Glassware and Table Top: the Craft Collection from Steelite International
- Microwaves and Rapid Cooking: the Combi Chef 7, Maestrowave
- Combi and Multi-Cooking: the SelfCookingCenter 5 Senses, Rational
- Induction: SINA One, Exclusive Ranges
- Food Preparation Equipment: Pac ‘n' Vac Containers, Mitchell & Cooper
- Refrigeration: the Superior Plus 72, Gram
The Product Awards Winners' supplement will be featured in the 19 December issue of The Caterer.