The Acorn Scholarship, an independent award created by previous winners of The Caterer's Acorn Awards, has announced its shortlisted finalists through to the final presentation day for the title of Acorn Scholar 2016.
The final judging day takes places on the 23 November at Westminster Kingsway College, London, where the seven finalists will present to a panel of prestigious judges and each finalist will be asked to expand on their goals for their future in hospitality.
2016 will see the 15th Acorn Scholar crowned in a competition that provides an arena for a young manager, chef, HR manager, sommelier, or any young high-achiever involved in hospitality to make a name for them self by presenting their skills and ambitions to some of the most respected names in the industry.
The judging panel includes: Eugenio Pirri FCIPD, vice president, people and organisational development at the Dorchester Collection, Sean Wheeler,director of people development at Starwood Capital - City Hotel division; James Horler, chief executive of 3Sixty Restaurants; Hannah Horler, managing director of Cartwheel Recruitment; Jo Harley, director of Purple Cubed; Nick Green, national sales manager, hotel and restaurant division, Villeroy and Boch; Amanda Afiya, the editor of The Caterer; and Leon Mills, Knorr marketing manager, Unilever Food Solutions UK & Ireland.
With a personal development bursary of £2,000 and a total prize value worth more than £5,000; the winner will also become part of the Acorn Scholarship alumni.
The final seven candidates are:
• Jessica Burrow, management programme participant, Red Carnation Hotels
• Martin Carabott, senior sous chef, the Royal Automobile Club, Pall Mall
• David Donnelly, new site opening operations manager, Premier Inn
• Charlotte Horler, operations manager, the Hotel Collection
• Andrew Muir, guest experience manager, Red Carnation Hotels
• Matthew Rowledge, human resources assistant, Royal Garden hotel
• Andrew Shorten, assistant meetings and events operation manager, Sofitel London Heathrow
Latest video from The Caterer