3 large trotters
1 ham shank
Half a chine (rib) of pork
3 peeled large carrots
2 sticks celery
2 peeled and halved onions
1 bunch of parsley
3 egg whites
Salt and pepper
1. Singe the trotters and pare the rind off the ham shank.
2. Put the rib in a heavy-duty pan cover with cold water bring to the boil drain and refresh to remove all the scum.
3. Put the trotters ham and ribs in a large pan with water carrots (whole) celery onion and parsley stalks. Cover and bake for four hours at 150°C/300°F. Check: the meat should flake easily from the bone.
4. Discard stalks and celery. Strain the broth into a bowl to allow the fat to rise. Cool and skim off the fat.
5. Flake the meat with a fork (watch out for cartilage and bone chippings). Flake the cooked onions and carrots. Season generously. Combine with chopped parsley and pack loosely into the terrines.
6. Whisk the egg white into the stock. Bring to simmering point in a fresh pan and strain to clarify it. It should be sufficiently reduced to form a jelly when cold. Season and pour over the meat in the terrines.