Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

BaxterStorey to source all meat from UK in sector first

28 September 2009 by
BaxterStorey to source all meat from UK in sector first

BaxterStorey has become the first contract catering company in the UK to begin using meat sourced entirely from within Britain.

For the last three years the caterer has ensured that all the lamb, beef, pork and poultry it prepares and serves carries appropriate Quality Assured certification and is acquired entirely from British farms.

In total these meat groups represent 95% of the fresh meat BaxterStorey, sourced from regional butchers throughout the UK, with the remaining 5% being bacon.

Since 2008, the caterer has been working with foodservice distributor Brakes to identify a UK-based supply chain which could fulfil its requirement for the final 5%.

As a result of this partnership, BaxterStorey is able to meet the demand for 6 million slices of bacon every year with Red Tractor quality assured produce from only British farmers.

John Bennett, managing director at BaxterStorey, explained that the need for quality ingredients was the reason behind the move: "For us this means using produce which has been reared to the highest standards and is not forced to travel across international boundaries for rearing or processing.

"Meat which moves from farm to fork in the speediest time means our chefs have the highest quality ingredients with which to create phenomenal food."

By sourcing all meat in the UK BaxterStorey also hopes to support the UK farming industry.

"Our success is dependent upon a thriving domestic agricultural market and we are determined to help UK farmers prosper," continued Bennett. "Our farming sector has suffered a torrid time over recent years. Take pig farming as an example, this has declined by 50% over the last decade alone in the UK.

Food and farming minister Jim Fitzpatrick welcomed BaxterStorey's decision and described it as good news for the British livestock industry: "I urge other caterers to consider the benefits of using home-grown food and drink from the many local producers in the UK.

"The Public Sector Food Procurement Initiative, which Defra runs, provides help and advice for small and local producers on how to tender for large public sector contracts."

The announcement comes hot on the heels of news from Compass Group that all fresh beef served in UK sites will, from October, be sourced in the UK.

All dining, hospitality, deli and grab and go services provided by BaxterStorey and its sister companies, Cater Link and Holroyd Howe Independent will use only British-sourced fresh meat.

Prince Charles urges schools and hospitals to buy local produce >>

The schemes that are encouraging children to eat healthy, local food >>

Compass to use only British beef from October >>

By Janie Stamford

E-mail your comments to Janie Stamford here.

If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk

Caterersearch.com jobs
Looking for a new job? Find your next contract catering job here with Caterersearch.com jobs

Blogs on Caterersearch.com](http://www.caterersearch.com/blogs) Catch up with more news and gossip on all Caterer's blogs
[Newsletters For the latest hospitality news, sign up for our e-mail newsletters.
The Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email

Start the working day with The Caterer’s free breakfast briefing email

Sign Up and manage your preferences below

Check mark icon
Thank you

You have successfully signed up for the Caterer Breakfast Briefing Email and will hear from us soon!

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.

close

Ad Blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an adblocker and – although we support freedom of choice – we would like to ask you to enable ads on our site. They are an important revenue source which supports free access of our website's content, especially during the COVID-19 crisis.

trade tracker pixel tracking