Here are some hints to help you make the right equipment buying decision, in association with Brakes Catering Equipment.
- The performance measure of a deep-fat fryer is usually given in weight of chips per hour. For many caterers there is a huge burst of demand for chips at midday, so basing fryer needs on what the output of chips is over an hour doesn't reflect what the kitchen actually has to produce in a much shorter time.
- Another point to consider when looking at chips-per-hour ratings is to ensure that the same type of chip is being rated by each manufacturer. Fry times will vary considerably between frozen, chilled and blanched chips and chips of different sizes. The best way of finding out the size and power of fryer needed is to ask a manufacturer to calculate the capacity based on your weekly throughput of fried foods.
- Heat-recovery time is a crucial feature of any deep-fat fryer. This is the time it takes the heating elements to recover the desired frying temperature when chilled or frozen food is lowered into the hot oil. Busy fast-food operations need a short heat-recovery time. Where demand on the fryer is lower, such as in a hotel kitchen, then the power of the fryer can be less.
- Rather than having one big pan, consider having a twin-pan fryer, so you can turn off one side when it's not busy and save energy and oil. It makes the system more flexible, too, as you can cook a variety of different products.
- A potential hazard arises if the temperature controls are at the back of the fry pan so a chef has to stretch across the frying area to adjust them. Many fryers now have temperature controls at the front.
Brakes Catering Equipment Top Tip
Buying a machine equipped with an oil filtration system will cost more initially but will reap savings in the long run. Oil filtration systems will extend the life of your cooking oil by up to 10 times, saving money as it will need to be replaced much less often, and protecting the environment as you will be disposing of 10 times less oil.
Brakes Catering Equipment: 0845 931 9494