The Craft Guild of Chefs has announced that 15 chefs will compete in the finals of its annual Graduate Awards.
All aged under 23, 36 chefs battled for their place in the final at heats held simultaneously at the University of West London and Sheffield College.
The kitchen award final examination will feature:
• Ioannis Mexis, Elystan Street
• Bronwen Jenkins, the Royal Garden Hotel
• Jessica Deakin, the Compasses Inn
• Joe Payne, Andre Garrett restaurant, Cliveden House
• Gilles Varone, Petrus restaurant
• Raymond Steplin, House of Commons
• Chor Fai Shek, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay
• Vince Vermeulen, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
• William Keeble, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
• Adam Phillips, Colette's at the Grove
• Lewis Kuciers, the Black Bull at Blidworth
• Rory Seaman, Wiltons
Meanwhile, Amy Rose Plumb from Titchwell Manor, Lorenzo Fleurie from Islington county house hotel and Hannah Catley from Chiltern Firehouse were selected to take part in the pastry graduate awards final.
It is the 15th anniversary of the Graduate Awards and this year's successful chefs will be announced at a celebration lunch cooked by former graduates Richard Edwards, Mark Froydenlund and Selin Kiazim.
Steve Munkley, vice-president of the Craft Guild of Chefs said "When you look at the list of chefs going through to the final exam, I think we've got our strongest one yet.
"We really threw in a curveball as the chefs were asked to create a dish using Quorn, courtesy of our sponsor. It is an ingredient that very few will use regularly in their own workplaces but it was amazing to see the ideas and dishes they came up with."
Russell Bateman, chair of examiners and head chef at Colette's at the Grove, added "My advice to all the finalists is put in the work over the next two months as on the day the chefs that stand out will be those who have practised, listened to advice at the mentor day and can show us how much they want this."
The final examination will take place at University College Birmingham on 22 August, 2017.
Videos from The Caterer archives