What does this job involve?
- Managing all aspects of the kitchen including the day-to-day operation
- Liaising with suppliers
- Maintaining or raising the profit margins on food
- Creating menus and new dishes
- Supervising staff
- Ensuring health and hygiene and safety rules are adhered to
What skills and attributes do I need?
- Creative skills a flair for cooking that goes beyond just being able to follow recipes. Qualifications and experience are not enough on their own. Imagination to develop new dishes is essential.
- People-management skills - to be a responsible and effective leader and manage and motivate a team
- Organisation skills - to be able to organise rotas, deliveries and storage
- Planning skills - to be able to plan menus and ensure that dishes are ready at the right time
- Finance skills - to be able to negotiate prices and handle budgets
- Confidence in your ability
- Communication skills
- Hardworking, practical, methodical and able to multi-task
- The ability to stay calm under pressure
How can I get this job?
A good head chef will have plenty of experience as a chef and have worked in numerous restaurants. Depending on the size and standard of the restaurant, it takes about 10 years to work up to this level.