Northern Restaurant & Bar 2014 returns next month with an exciting line-up of chefs including Michael Caines and James Martin. Now in its 14th year, the show has more than 225 exhibitors, supplying everything from food and drink to technology and services, says Lisa Jenkins
Northern Restaurant & Bar 2014
When 18-19 March 2014
Where Manchester Central Exhibition Centre, Windmill Street, Manchester M2 3GX
• New to 2014 is the NRB Debate, supported by Pro Manchester. Tim Bacon of Living Ventures, Marcello Distefano of San Carlo and Beau Myers of Beautiful Drinks will show how they have developed their businesses and discuss future trends.
• Chef Live features demos from Michael Caines, James Martin, Simon Rogan and Aiden Byrne. Marc Wilkinson and Steven Smith both return for another year, following great reviews in the national guides.
• The Market Kitchen is a theatre focused on artisan regional ingredients, with demos featuring the skills and techniques needed for game, cheese, hot stone-cooking, pâtisserie, butchery and fishmongery. The theatre is surrounded by stalls featuring over 30 leading regional food and drink suppliers, including producers from Wales, the North, and via Game To Eat.
• Drinks Live will cover everything from tea and coffee to absinthe, sherry and rum, and will also run a cocktail competition offering the winner a trip to St Lucia. The adjacent Spirit Room hosts more than 20 brands with samples of rum, gin, vodka, pastis and more.
• Grape & Grain includes tutored tastings of wine, beer and cider. Returning speakers include the Wine and Spirit Education Trust, Robinsons and Majestic Commercial.
• The Tap Room, which is new for 2014, will allow small artisan brewers to display a selection of different styles of ale for visitors to sample.
|Dreamy Mixers is extending its range of real fruit pulp mixers to include Watermelon, Raspberry, Blood Orange, Mojito & Pina Colada, for authentic cocktails.|
|Patchwork Pâté's innovatively packaged handmade range has been created specifically for busy chefs. The 500g piping bags reduce wastage and save time. New at the show are Welsh Dragon's Paté (venison liver with chilli) and the sweet-savoury Duck Liver Pate with Apricot Brandy.|
|DJM Food Solutions specialises in importing and distributing award-winning food to the UK, including Cedar Bay Atlantic salmon from Canada, seasoned with marinades.|
|Frederic Robinson's original ‘stumpy' Prosecco bottle looks fantastic in an ice bucket. This award-winning example of top-quality DOCG Prosecco is light, with lemon and apple hints, and goes well with salads or seafood.|
|Masquerido from Malcolm Cowen is an inexpensive, quality alternative to the brand leader in the spirited beers category. The Masquerido Tequila and Mojito are both 5% ABV.|
|Staritsky & Levitsky Reserve Vodka is the world's first premium vodka from the Ukraine and is only available in limited quantities. Only single-grain Ukrainian wheat is used from the yearly August harvest, which traditionally produces the best grain for vodka distilling.|
|Clifton Quality Meats' Northern Gold rib of beef is locally farmed and specially selected for the brand with specific fat class, grade and conformation specifications.|
|Greens Beers is the only dedicated producer of gluten-free beers in Europe. Brewed exclusively by Belgian craft brewers, these award-winning beers are produced from natural ingredients and are allergen free. The range includes everything from crisp and light lagers to hoppy beers, all licenced by EU coeliac societies.|
|We Love Jelly is the creater behind Periodic, a vegetarian-friendly range of cocktail-infused jellies. Using a mix of fine spirits and quality mixers, they sidestep the stereotypical vodka jelly shot for something a little more sophisticated.|
|Ponthier's range of 100% natural, chilled fruit purées and coulis are designed to provide a practical and time-saving solution for chefs.|
|Caorunn Gin is a premium, handcrafted gin from the Scottish Highlands. It is aromatic with a long, dry finish and delicate fruit and floral notes.|
|Kidzsmart has launched a ‘Goal Action' pack for young football supporters. The packs come with a blow-football board game, straws and balls, a range of quirky characters and pages of fun sporty activities.|
|Grillstream Catering patented energy efficient chargrilling technology reduces smoke emissions by draining off oils and fats, allowing for rapid heat-up and recovery times using perforated diffusers.|
|The Bluechef Cooking Engine/Mixer from MCS Technical Products brings the advantage of a mixer and cutter combined with a 3.5-litre steam-jacketed jug to deliver rapid cooking results with no hot spots.|
|OrbiTables are ‘orbitable', and revolve seated guests between courses. They are available to lease or buy.|
|Gram will be showcasing the latest additions to its sub-brand Snowflake, including a double-door cabinet, three counter and two blast chillers/freezers.|
|Jestic Foodservice Equipment will exhibit a range of blending equipment from Vitamix, and the latest in charcoal oven technology from Josper.|