Guiseppe Turi is the owner of Enoteca Turi, Putney - winner of the Best Italian in London, Harden's Guide.
- 250g Castelluccio or green lentils
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 120g girolles (preferred) or other mushrooms
- 5g dried mushrooms
- 1 bouquet garni of rosemary, thyme and sage
- 3 stems parsley, leaves only
- 16 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Salt and pepper to season
- 5tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
Sauté diced veg in 2tbs olive oil until they begin to colour. Wash lentils, no need to soak, and add to sautéd veg. Add 1 litre water, bring to boil and let simmer - will take 30-40 minutes depending on lentils. Add dried mushrooms and bouquet garni. Check lentils every 10 minutes. After 20 minutes it may need extra water.
While lentils are cooking, quarter girolle mushrooms and with blade of knife, crush garlic, leaving it whole.
In frying pan, put 3 tbs olive oil and add garlic. When garlic begins to sizzle, add girolles, cherry tomato and parsley leaves. Let sauté at high heat. When tomatoes begin to caramelise, turn off heat, discard garlic and season.
When lentils are cooked after 30-40 minutes - they need to be soft and creamy - season to taste and remove bouquet garni. Pour soup into four bowls, spread sautéd girolles over soup and serve.