More than half of British holidaymakers plan to take their main break at home next year, according to latest figures.
The survey, which questioned more 2000 consumers and was carried out by YouGov for the Sunday Times, found that 83% of Britons plan to holiday at home next year, compared with the 26% who intend to stay in the country this year.
The results follow official figures last week showing that 4.87 million people travelled overseas in June, the lowest figure for seven years and down from 5.98 million last year.
Marek Vaygelt, head of consumer consulting at YouGov, said the key driver for the results is the strength of the Euro against the pound.
"Most people interviewed were likely to have already taken a holiday in the UK so for them to say they plan to do so again next year suggests the industry has done a reasonable job," he said.
However, Vaygelt added that it is crucial for operators to continue to impress UK holidaymakers for the rest of the season if they want to secure future business.
"This is the year for businesses to make a real go of it because if they don't those extra customers won't be coming back next year," he said.
By Emma White
E-mail your comments to Emma White here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Caterersearch.com jobs