The 10 finalists competing for the Best Newcomer Award in the 2016 National Fish & Chips Awards have been announced.
Organised by fishing authority Seafish, the award seeks to celebrate the best new fish and chip shops from around the country that opened no earlier than 1 October 2013.
The shortlisted businesses have been judged by mystery shoppers, and will now face another round of judging from mystery assessors, who will look at product quality, innovation, promotional activity, customer service, sustainability, and taste.
The top three finalists will then compete for the top spot at the 2016 awards ceremony at the Lancaster London hotel on 20 January.
The 10 finalists are:
• Athena's Fish & Chips in Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex
• Bywater Fisheries in Castleford, West Yorkshire
• Catch in East Looe, Cornwall
• Chuckles Chippy in Poole, Dorset
• MyChippy.com in Enfield, Middlesex
• Old Time Fisheries in Keighley, West Yorkshire
• Potter Hill Fish Shop in Pickering, North Yorkshire
• Sea Salt and Sole in Dyce, Aberdeenshire
• The Great British Mayfair Fish & Chips, London
• Wolfies Of Hove in East Sussex
Paul Williams, chief executive of Seafish, congratulated the shortlisted shops, thanked them for their work, and said: "The aim of the National Fish & Chip Awards has always been to showcase the very best fish and chip businesses and individuals in the UK, while setting incredibly high standards for the industry to aspire to. I cannot stress enough the importance of celebrating and rewarding new entrants into the industry; there are some incredibly talented individuals that are dedicating their careers to ensure the future of our industry continues to thrive and that must be applauded."
Latest video from The Caterer