What does this job involve?
- Recruiting staff
- Looking after the welfare of the whole team. This includes dealing with problems and advising heads of department and the general manager on human resources issues
- Arranging temporary, part-time and casual staff
- Making sure pay and leave records are accurately kept
- Hands-on training, as well as encouraging and organising others to train. If your workplace is involved in NVQs or SVQs, it is likely that you will play a key role as an assessor (for which you must have appropriate skills and qualifications) and perhaps as centre contact for the awarding body.
- Contributing to an induction programme for new members of staff. It is important that all the staff know you and feel able to come to you with any problems.
- You may also be involved in standardising policy on discipline, creating/maintaining a staff handbook, and producing reports for business planning and unions.
What skills and attributes do I need?
- You need to be able to deal with people easily and successfully. You also need tact and diplomacy to deal with sensitive issues and ensure confidentiality is maintained.
- Training skills
- Knowledge about recruitment and HR issues, including dealing with disciplinary matters
How can I get this job?
Vocational courses are available through colleges and personnel institutes.