Joe Queen, executive head chef at the Thistle hotel in Glasgow has scooped the Chris Beaumont Award at last night's Springboard Awards for Excellence ceremony in London.
Queen was rewarded for his "outstanding contribution to the industry and support of Springboard's aims and initiatives".
Presenting the awards, Andy Kemp, group sales director of 3663 described Queen as: "passionate about the work Springboard does to help young, disadvantaged people and as someone who makes sure he puts his standards into practice, demonstrating a clear commitment to the hospitality industry through his extensive activities as a Springboard Ambassador."
It was another good night for Red Carnation Hotels, which was awarded the Best Employer Award for Hospitality & Leisure, adding to its collection of accolades this year, which also includes Caterer'sBest Places To Work and managing director Jonathan Raggett being named as Hotelier of the Year.
The charity, which helps young, unemployed and disadvantaged people into hospitality, leisure and travel careers, handed out a total of 17 awards at the event at London's InterContinenal Hotel on Park Lane last night.
From a total of 150 entries received this year, 48 were shortlisted for 17 awards across categories focusing on Promoting Careers, Attracting People and Employment Practice.
The winners were:
- Springboard Ambassador of the Year - Shane King (Restaurant Associates)
- Academy Learner of the Year - Sean Smith, University of Birmingham
- Best Regional Initiative - North East Marriott Hotels
- Web Award - The Staff Canteen
- Education Award (Large) - Concord Hotels
- Young People Award - Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
- Student Placement Award - Lancaster London
- Best Initiative to Attract People into Management Award - Compass Group UK & Ireland
- Diversity in Employment Award - The Co-operative
- Best Initiative to Attract Chefs Award - Highland Employer Coalition
- Best Employer Award Hospitality & Leisure - Red Carnation Hotels
- Best Employer Travel & Tourism Award - The Co-operative Society
- Career Progression Award - Paul UK
- The Retention Award - InterContinental London Park Lane
- Best Recruitment Hospitality & Leisure - Esporta Health Club
- The Corporate Citizen Award - Hyatt Regency London, The Churchill
- The Chris Beaumont Special Award - Joe Queen, Thistle Hotels, Glasgow
By Neil Gerrard
E-mail your comments to Neil Gerrard here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next job here with Caterersearch.com jobs