The top 10 finalists have been revealed in the 2016 search for the Kitchen Porter of the Year, a competition launched by Winterhalter in partnership with The Caterer.
Now in its fourth year, the competition has gone from strength to strength. It is the only competition in the industry to recognise and celebrate the back-breaking work that KPs do in our kitchens.
The top 10 finalists are:
- Kevin Axtell, kitchen porter, Windsor Castle Guard Rooms, Windsor (Sodexo)
- David Bryant, kitchen porter, Next, Bradford, (Gather and Gather)
- Joseph Burford, kitchen porter, MOD St Antham, Vale of Glamorgan, (Sodexo)
- Stephen Cornwell, kitchen porter, Foxes Hotel, Somerset
- Mick Dunn, chief steward, Rubens at the Palace, Hotel 41 & Bbar, London
- Daniel Gligorov, kitchen porter, the White Hart at Fyfield, Oxfordshire
- Adam Korabewski, kitchen porter, Oxfam, Reading, (Catermasters)
- Wendy Scott, mess band, Beachley Barracks, Chepstow, (Sodexo)
- Raluca Maria Stoian, kitchen porter, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, London
- Ken Wylie, kitchen porter, the Marram Grass, Whitelodge Caravan Park, Anglesey
Sara Jayne Stanes, chief executive of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts and a member of the KP of the Year judging panel, said: "I love being part of these motivating awards - every entry we receive is worthy of comment. We had entries from across all sectors of hospitality where all the KPs are going above and beyond the call of duty."
Stephen Kinkead, managing director of Winterhalter, added: "We launched this competition in 2013 and have been delighted with the response from restaurants, pubs, schools, contract caterers and hotels across the country. Judging gets harder every year, the standards are so high - and it was a difficult decision to pick just one winner."
The 2016 KP of the Year prize includes £1,000 cash for the individual winning KP and a celebratory meal for the KP and their friends and family in a casual-dining restaurant of their choice. The winner's place of work will win a prize too, in the shape of one of Winterhalter's warewash products worth up to £8,000.
The overall winner of the 2016 KP of the Year competition will be revealed in October.
Latest video from The Caterer