Westminster Kingsway College has opened three new innovative teaching kitchens at its campus at London Victoria.
The new facilities include a new culinary science and kitchen innovation laboratory, a chocolate laboratory and the cacao barry patisserie as well as the new Baroness Burdett-Coutts kitchen.
Andy Wilson, principal at Westminster Kingsway College, said: "The opening of these specialist culinary facilities demonstrates Westminster Kingsway College's continued commitment to providing what our partners in the hospitality industry tell us they need.
"We are the first and only further education college or culinary school in the UK to have specialist laboratory facilities for culinary science and chocolate, with specialist lecturers in both areas. We are proud to open these facilities and immensely grateful to our industry sponsors for all of their support."
The new Culinary Science and Kitchen Innovation Laboratory is dedicated to the training and education of culinary science and gastronomy.
The new facilities provide a fully equipped space where Culinary Arts Foundation Degree students can carry out scientific research related to culinary processes. The space will also be used to teach Kitchen Science to Professional Chef Diploma students and the combination of kitchen and laboratory equipment will be used for interactive demonstrations.
Meanwhile the new Baroness Burdett-Coutts Kitchen is a state-of-the-art 12-station teaching kitchen featuring the latest Charvet kitchen ranges, multimedia facilities and a separate area for lecturer and guest speaker-led demonstrations. It will be used by students studying the International Culinary Diploma as well as the Professional chef courses and one day industry programmes.
The bespoke kitchen is named in honour of Baroness Burdett-Coutts, a local philanthropist in London during the late 19th century, who founded the nearby St Stephen's Church on Rochester Row and the Burdett-Coutts School before providing a two-storey building on Vincent Square in Westminster which became the Westminster Technical Institute and later in 1910, established Westminster Kingsway College's School of Hospitality.