In March 2010 Blackpool Council acquired the Winter Gardens, along with Blackpool Tower, Louis Tussauds and the Golden Mile Centre, bringing it into public ownership for the first time in its history. Crown Entertainment Centres Limited (CECL) were subsequently appointed to manage and operate the venue.
European and Government funding, as well as assistance from Housing and Communities Agency and the Council's own commitment has helped with the acquisition of the portfolio, and has set out the basis of the phase one redevelopment of the Winter Gardens.
As part of the phase one redevelopment, the Council have appointed contractors to carry out repairs to the Floral Hall, with a view to the Winter Gardens becoming open to visitors all year round from February 2011. The Grade II listed building will have its entrance on Church Street and Coronation Street lovingly restored.
Currently the former Grill Room is occupied as an amusement centre. This area will become a new exhibition / display area within a new coffee shop with circa 200 covers, replacing the existing café pod in the Floral Hall. The adjacent Bistro is to will be completed refurbished to provide a circa 120 cover restaurant.
The Winter Gardens also has facilities for banqueting for between 10 people or up to 1,000 guest, as well as event catering - the largest event last year attracting 10,000 attending over three days.
Blackpool Council wishes to invite suitably experienced and qualified companies or organisations, with a proven track record in successfully managing a variety of catering outlet which include restaurant / coffee shop as well and banqueting, to submit a tender to manage the catering facilities at the Winter Gardens, under an initial 5 year Operating Agreement (with the option to extend for a further 5 years).
Facilities included within the Operating Agreement is outlined below: -
- Backstage Bistro / Floral Hall restaurant
- Coffee shop / exhibition
- Main Banqueting kitchen
- Ancillary serving kitchens
The successful company will, as a minimum, be expected to: -
- Pay a minimum of £50K per annum, together with a percentage of the taking..
- Invest a minimum of £200K, over the period of the Operating Agreement into the Banqueting and secondary kitchens.
- Maintain the banqueting kitchen and the secondary serving kitchens throughout the Winter Gardens.
- Employ the current catering staff under a TUPE agreement.
- Manage the backstage Bistro / Floral Restaurant
- Liaise with CECL regarding changes within the exhibition.
- Act as nominated supplier for banquets and events.
- Agree, on behalf of CECL, terms with third party suppliers for the use of banqueting kitchen and/or serving kitchens.
- Work in partnership with Blackpool Council and CECL
If you wish to participate in this tender, please follow the instructions below:
This Tender will be run electronically via the North West's Supplier Portal "The Chest". In order to express your interest in the tender and to download/ upload the Tender Documentation, you must register (free of charge) on The Chest (https;//www.thechest.nwce.gov.uk) by selecting" current opportunities". NB: Documentation will not be sent in any other way.
Your Tender MUST be submitted electronically via The Chest by no later than 12 noon 16th December 2010.