Eight finalists have been announced for the 2022 Gold Service Scholarship, the competition for young, front-of-house professionals.
The finalists were selected following interviews and skills tests overseen by a panel of judges, led by chairman Edward Griffiths.
The prizes for the 2022 Scholar will include a trip to Champagne Laurent-Perrier and an intensive two-week WSET course as well as a choice of placements at establishments such as the Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok; the three-Michelin-starred Waterside Inn in Bray, Berkshire; the two-Michelin-starred Le Gavroche in London; or at an overseas Rocco Forte hotel.
The eight successful finalists are:
- Julien Beltzung, executive sommelier at the Glenturret Lalique restaurant, Perthshire
- Harry Champion, private members' club manager at Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, London
- Max Daglish, assistant restaurant manager, Northcote, Lancashire
- Manon Gaillard, senior footman, the Royal Household
- Thomas Gammella, restaurant manager, Clockspire restaurant, Somerset
- Riccardo Migliorini, chef de rang, Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, London
- Valentina Pirri, guest relations manager, Davies and Brook, Claridge's, London
- Anne Rasing, restaurant supervisor, Kerridge's Bar & Grill, Corinthia, London
Griffiths said: "This has been another remarkable year for young talent entering the Gold Service Scholarship.
"In spite of the many challenges that the hospitality industry has faced over the last two years, these candidates have shown exceptional enthusiasm, professionalism, and a dedication to learning, developing their skills, and interacting with like-minded colleagues.
"The standards have been very high, and it was a challenge to select just eight from the 33 semi finalists."
The final of the Gold Service Scholarship will take place on Monday 24 January 2022 at the Corinthia, where a panel of leading hospitality figures will judge how each finalist receives and looks after a party of four guests.
The 2022 Scholar will then be announced at a gala reception at Claridge's in February.