Harrods said that there will be no access to guests of the new £300m hotel which is to be developed near the department store in London's Knightsbridge.
City Developments Limited (CDL) announced on Tuesday that it had been given the go-ahead by planners to transform the Pavilion Road NCP car park into a luxury 120-bedroom hotel.
The company said that the site was unique due to "a disused underground pedestrian and goods tunnel linking the development with Harrods".
A Harrods spokesperson said: "There is a historic tunnel on this site, however it has been blocked up for 20 years – it will remain blocked up and will offer no access to Harrods."
A spokesperson for Dartmouth Capital Advisors which is advising CDL on the hotel's development, added: "The tunnel is not in use, and there are no plans to bring it back into operation".
CDL, the owner and operator of Millennium & Copthorne Hotels, is yet to appoint a global luxury brand to operate the hotel, which is expected to take 30 months to build.
You need to create an account to read this article. It's free and only requires a few basic details.
Already subscribed? Log In