Bernie McClelland of the nine-bedroom Rayanne House guesthouse in Holywood, Northern Ireland has been named as the AA's Friendliest Landlady of the Year 2010.
She was presented with her award today (see picture) at the AA Bed and Breakfast Awards lunch at the Royal Horseguards hotel, London, by Giovanna Grossi, group area manager for AA Hotel Services, and Nigel David, chief executive of the sponsor Eviio, London.
McClelland, who was chosen from a shortlist of 20 finalists, runs Rayanne House with her chef husband Conor who cooks gourmet breakfasts from fresh local ingredients. They aim to provide their guests with a boutique experience where the present meets the past.
"I am just so delighted to have been awarded this title," she said. "I do my best to make all our guests feel welcome and at home while still maintaining our high standards. I think my natural Northern Irish warmth is what sets us aside from the others."
The full list of winners in the AA Bed and Breakfast Awards 2010 include:
• Friendliest Landlady of the Year: Bernie McClelland, Rayanne House, Holywood, Northern Ireland
• Funkiest B&B of the Year:The Aramay, St Agnes, Cornwall
• AA Guest Accommodation of the Year for England:The Lavenham Old Rectory, Lavenham, Suffolk
• AA Guest Accommodation of the Year for Scotland:Blarcreen House, Oban
• AA Guest Accommodation of the Year for Wales:The Grove, Narberth, Pembrokeshire
• AA Guest Accommodation of the Year for London:York and Albany, London NW1
By Janet Harmer
E-mail your comments to Janet Harmer here.
If you have something to say on this story or anything else join the debate at Table Talk - Caterer's new networking forum. Go to www.caterersearch.com/tabletalk
Looking for a new job? Find your next hotel job here with Caterersearch.com jobs