More than 200 guests were evacuated from the Amba hotel in London's Charing Cross overnight as a ruptured gas main saw the area placed on lockdown.
Guests were looked after at a neighbouring hotel as London Fire Service reported "high levels" of natural gas in the area.
The hotel tweeted: "We can confirm there was a reported gas leak near Charing Cross station this morning. 263 guests and team members on the property were promptly evacuated on the advice of the emergency services.
"Our guests are currently being looked after at one of our neighbouring hotels whilst we work closely with the emergency services to resolve the situation."
The hotel was eventually allowed to reopen at about 1pm today.
A nightclub close to the gas main in Craven Street, close to the Strand, was also evacuated with about 1,450 people affected in total.
Crews were called at 2am today with about 20 firefighters attending.
London Fire Brigade station manager Brett Loft said: "This is a large gas leak in the street and as a precaution we have evacuated people and Charing Cross Station is closed. Commuters are advised to find alternative route and The Strand is closed.
"Gas engineers are working on isolating the leak and we'd asked people to avoid the area if possible."
Videos from The Caterer archives