A Bradford hotel and leisure complex has been hit with a £17,000 fine after health inspectors found a series of potentially life-threatening safety breaches.
The owners of the Sporting Lodge hotel admitted breaching health and safety regulations during a hearing before Leeds magistrates.
The court was told that during a routine visit health inspectors found live electrical sockets hanging off bare walls and live exposed electrical wires.
Further investigation then showed that there were problems with staffing levels, transportation and storage of cleaning chemicals for the pool, in addition to hygiene and maintenance deficiencies.
Samples taken from the pool then showed high levels of bacteria in the water.
In mitigation for the hotel it was said that money had been spent on improvements but the situation had worsened after the unexpected departure of the general manager.
It was stated also that the hotel and leisure complex had now closed and that the premises was on the market for £1.7 million.
Fining the company, district judge Nicholas Hayles said the breaches were down to management failure.
"The company is in a parlous state and it is a mystery as to how it ever managed to persuade any guests or members to use its facilities," said Hayles.
By Andrew Smith
E-mail your comments to Chris Druce here.
Looking for a new job? Find your next hotel job here with Caterersearch.com jobs