Planning permission has been granted for a standalone hotel suite, the Pool House, to be built across two rocks on Burgh Island, Bigbury-on-Sea, Devon.
The suite will open as part of the Grade II-listed, 25-bedroom Burgh Island hotel, with work expected to begin at the end of the year.
South Hams District Council's development management committee approved the plan on 30 March, despite receiving ten objections.
The single-storey building will be built across two rocks, replacing the original rock arch which collapsed in the late 1930s, giving views over the cliffs towards the open sea and the Mermaid Pool below.
The hotel's design, by Carmody Groarke in partnership with Landscape Architects and Westley Design, was a product of an architectural competition. It will be of a natural rock colour to replicate the rock bridge structure and have a flat, grassy roof.
The Pool House will be used in a similar way to a Beach House, for guests to stay in for longer periods of time.
The Burgh hotel opened in 1929 on the 26-acre tidal island located 300m off the coast of South Devon. It is owned by Tony Orchard.
Videos from The Caterer archives